[ Cartagena / Colombia ]
The house of the AAIC 2017
Cartagena de Indias
The International Congress will be celebrated in Colombia, the country of Magical Realism. It is situated in the Northwest region of South America. The official language is Spanish and the capital is Bogotá. We are bordered by two oceans, Pacific and Atlantic.
Although the streets of the historic center and Getsemaní (Gethsemane) can be appreciated vestiges of colonial and republican architecture; the city has given way to modernity with modern structures, generating a unique contrast, that has allowed the mixing of different cultures..
Cartagena, the host city, is located above the sea level with a wet tropical climate that ranges between 28° C and 32° C. The city does not have seasons; however, has a dry season (June to August). Due to its geographical position, the city of Cartagena has no seasons, but a humid tropical climate with two rainy seasons in the months of April, May, October and November.
Because of its strategic location in the Caribbean, the city was the main port of America for the Spanish Empire during the colonial times, as well as shelter for treasures and riches. For this reason the city had to be protected from attacks by pirates with fortifications and ramparts, which can still be appreciated today, and which earned their recognition as a Historical and Cultural Heritage of mankind by UNESCO in 1984..
For visitors, the city offers a diversity of plans with its 11 kilometers of beaches and nearby islands archipelago, ideal for enjoying the breeze, the sun and all kinds of water sports; lot of streets, alleys and ramparts waiting to be explored, squares and parks where you can feel and experience the mixture of cultures between Cartagena and visitors, natural scenarios, among other places which will make that you understand why the city is considered the birthplace of magical realism, and where her people will wait you with open arms..
Tour Of the Historic Center
Whether you explore the town by foot, on bicycle, Segway, or horse-drawn carriage, you’re bound to marvel at the flower-filled balconies of Cartagena,whose sunsets illuminate the silhouettes of watchtowers and forts, and whose walls act as benches for lovers to sit upon and observe the sea..
Noteworthy Factors of the City
- We have the privilege of having charismatic, kind and honest people.
- We have been site of important events of national and international level.
- We have one of the most important coralline barriers in the country.
- We count with more than 11 kilometers of Colonial walls and forts which turn into unique spaces to hold events.
- We were declared World Heritage Site by the Unesco in 1984.
- We have the largest colonial military fort in Latin America.
- We have 19 kilometers of beaches with warm waters during the whole year.
- We have a beautiful Historical Center where one can relive the events that took place in Cartagena de Indias.
- Our history makes us to be a unique and interesting city to each traveler that is interested in getting to know the City.
Cartagena has a strategic geographical position in the Americas. Located in the northwestern corner of South America on the Caribbean Sea, equal distance between North and South America, making it easy for arrivals from around the world.
Cartagena’s Rafael Nuñez International Airport (CTG), is located within the city limits and only 10 minutes away from its historical centre. The airport receives nearly 300 direct domestic flights per week. We have direct connectivity with: Atlanta, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Nueva York y Panamá.